Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Galleria Trip

When raising three boys on one Income, it is sometimes a challenge to find fun and inexpensive ways to entertain them. The opening of the Galleria in the mid-80's seemed like the perfect opportunity, so my grandmother and I loaded up the boys and headed to Hoover. Brad was still in a stroller, so Matt and Jeffrey must have been 3and 6. I should have taken their excitement as a warning of what was to come, but out of sheer boredom it seemed like a great way to pass the day. Maybe they had never heard the word Galleria before and assumed we were going to an amusement park, but their zeal for a shopping trip seemed a little out of the ordinary for boys. They were bouncing in their seats with the 35 mile road trip.
After securing Brad in the stroller and loading up with our snacks and such, we headed in. I told them to stay right by my side since this was opening week and the crowds were unbelievable. I guess we were not the only ones who had never been to a Galleria.
I must admit that I was impressed, too. It was the biggest shopping mall that I had ever seen. We entered on the first level and made our way to the food court. The huge open space and the massive skylights were impressive, as was the carousel in the middle which also added to the fair-like atmosphere.
My boys were already over stimulated when they spotted the glass elevator. I could hardly control their enthusiasm; they wanted to ride in the worst way. We made our way to the line, but had to wait on the second trip which only added to their anxiety. When the doors opened the people in front of us boarded after those leaving had exited. Not to miss the chance to look out the glass, Matt and Jeff pushed their way to the front windows. They were pulling on each other afraid that one would get a better spot than his brother. I was trying to control their actions but I was not doing a very good job. They were in a scuffle when I noticed a lady with a baby in a stroller protecting her child with her body. I reached through the crowd and in an effort to control, I pinched Jeffrey's arm. To my embarrassment, he yells, "she's pinching my arm!" suddenly all eyes were on me. I can't believe so much commotion can take place in a 30 second elevator ride.
We rode back down and made our way to the main corridor which housed the larger stores. Jeffrey spotted something ahead and started running. I left Mama with the other 2 boys and took off after him. He was ahead of me by only 10 feet but it was enough time for him to push the unguarded Red STOP button on the escalator. I got there just in time to feel the hundred pairs of eyes staring down at me. My first reaction was to give Jeffrey several swats on his bottom to at least let people know that I did have some control. When I looked up they were still staring. I had to “shoo” them like chickens to get them to move. I guess they wanted me to start it up again, but I couldn't without a key. I am not making excuses, but why would a red stop button be exposed right at eye level for a three year old?
With enough excitement for one day, we packed it up and headed home. Thank goodness for small favors, all three boys were sound asleep before we had reached the Interstate. I decided right then to forego the long trip to Hoover. I would just take my chances with the fountain at Century Plaza.



Carol Hobby
June 15, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment