Monday, June 13, 2011

My First Story on my Blog

The Pep Rally
The football season of my freshman year at the University of Alabama was one for the record books. Bear Bryant had made his comeback, we were undefeated heading to a possible National Championship game with Texas when….Auburn blocked some punts and beat us 17-16 in the last game of the season. We headed back to Tuscaloosa to face reality and finals.
In 1972 there were not as many government regulations on safety. You could still smoke in elevators, ride without seat belts, and sit in an open window on the 11th floor of Tutwiler Hall. That is where it all started.
The week after the Alabama Auburn game some fans from the Plains drove through the parking lot at Tutwiler and yelled “War Eagle. “ The Crimson White paper blamed it on pre-exam tension, but those who were a part of the history know better. It started with a few words from my friends and roommates, Diane, Janis, and Belita. They yelled back at the perpetrators which ignited a reaction from the whole dorm. Within minutes, Tutwiler was of control. Girls were yelling and throwing things from the window. The Resident Assistants were trying hard to quiet the noise and even locate the instigators, but we were smarter and had them outnumbered. Someone kept guard and when an RA appeared we were as calm as ever. Finally, some brave soul pulled the fire alarm and everyone had to evacuate.
Now I had been innocently studying at the library. I came in just in time to hear the commotion outside. I got to the room and received a quick update just before the fire alarm rang. Outside Janis, Belita, and Diane were encouraging everyone to go to Bryant Hall for a Pep Rally. The crowd began to get excited and move in that direction when I realized I could never make it without emptying my bladder. I ran inside for just a few, but when I came back out my roommates were gone. I was down to one friend now and Sherry and I took off trying to catch up with the other girls.
We got about to the red light at the Corner bookstore, when someone yelled for us to jump on the back of this pickup truck that was apparently headed to Bryant Hall. Sherry got on and was in the process of helping me when the light turned green and the pickup took off. I was not in enough to hang on so I fell off and landed flat on the pavement. Cars were honking for me to get out of the way, so I picked myself up and started running in the direction of the athletic dorm, determined not to miss out on what my roommates had started.
My determination must have made me run with excessive speed because I passed almost everyone on the path. When I could see the Hall I could tell that Janis, Belita, and Diane were leading the crowds. They must have been standing on some wall because I could see their heads above the others. Not to be outdone, I pushed myself through the crowd and joined them in the front row leading the cheers. It was AWESOME! The football team could not help but be encourage by our spontaneous actions and the endless cheers of “Roll Tide Roll.” After a few minutes and some proper “thank you”s from the team, we dismissed and headed back to Tutwiler.

It was on the way back that I began to feel pain. I guess my adrenaline had kept me going, because I ached in several places now. Back at the dorm we were able to make a most embarrassing observation. Apparently when I fell off the truck I did not fall straight down. I must have skidded because every part of my body that stuck out was skinned- - my nose, my chin, my stomach, my knees, and most embarrassingly, my boobs. On the front of my shirt were two black track marks in the most obvious of places. We all laughed uncontrollable when we realized that I had led the Pep Rally with what looked like two bulls eyes on the front of my blouse. It was just the price I paid for living with some super roommates.

Carol Hobby
June 14, 2011

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! Wish I could remember all of the things YOU remember. I just remember somebody ALWAYS pulling that fire alarm during finals and I was on the 14th floor! What a pain!
    Love you, girl! Keep on writing~I'll be first in line to buy your book!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you started this! I love your stories!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight was the first time I've visited Facebook in ages. I'm glad I did because I've always loved your stories. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete